<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/1465112121931942813?origin\x3dhttp://astimeunravels.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Buy NOTHING Christmas??


w i s h
Originally uploaded by h2okatcher.
good ideas floating around...

Should we all join up with the Buy Nothing Christmas campaign? It sounds like a lovely idea to me. The problem is that I really like giving gifts. I was having a bit of frustration over the thought of buying a bunch of stuff for people this holiday... I decided not to get them stuff. Stuff is stupid.

But I'm not sure how I feel about the whole buy absolutely nothing idea. I toyed with the option of buying my friends goats. And by goats I mean, buying a goat in Africa for them. I think that sounds swell. But I'm not sure if I will do that or not. I don't mind getting people things that they need or things like good books or music that will enrich their life. That's cool. I just have issues with this tradition of giving meaningless little treasures that will end up collecting dust on the shelf starting the week after Christmas. So silly.

Some ideas from www.buynothingchristmas.org :

* make a gift (write a card, paint a picture, mount a photo, bake some cookies)
* recycle an old treasure (a book, fancy fountain pen, desk lamp from the basement), give a voucher (for babysitting, a home-cooked meal, walk in the park, ride on a bike, go to the movies)
* reduce needless consumer spending (give a gift to charity in someone's name, draw names instead of buying for everyone)
* have a meal together, start new traditions of sharing memories or making simple handmade cards

I think these are good ideas. I'm not sure if I'm ready to adhere to a strict not-buying-anything-at-all Christmas.... but steps in that general direction are good.

What would Christmas look like if we gave up gifts?

I think it would be sad. Gifts can show such love. But it would be good too. We care too much about our stuff and having more and getting and having. It's bad for you.

I only have 1 more assignment left. Only 400 words left in my essay. Then just 4 days of class and 4 exams later... FREEDOM!

I really need the break. I'm getting way to stressed out. I can't eat anything... can't eat wheat for sure now. Crap! And my jaw and ear are hurting because I clench my teeth at night. :( My life is so hard! Bahh!!

Micha is out.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger So Indie says so:
    8:54 a.m.  

    Not buying shit will be the greatest thing you'll ever do for the Christmas holidays. It's awesome, and not even in a selfish way for not spending money. top

  • Blogger Gail says so:
    1:06 a.m.  

    I can see where the buying nothing would make sense, because basicly you have to be pretty creative and it might even mean more than just buying a cd or DVD set that they ask for... but I like doing that to, maybe that's why I am allways so broke at christmas time?? top